Wilton currently owns and operates 3 naturally diverse coffee farms located in Piendamo – Cauca in Southwestern Colombia at a height of 1800 – 2100 masl. Granja Paraiso 92 is the smallest of the three, at 5 hectares.
Granja Paraiso 92, Cauca
Bright and Juicy
We pick up on notes of pink grapefruit, candyfloss, and lychee. There is a cane sugar-like sweetness, and lingering floral notes with every sip.
Wilton's processing methods are so controlled and complex, that the usual terminology doesn't seem sufficient. This 'advanced process' includes sterilisation with UV and Ozone, introduction of Saccharomyces pastorianus yeast, and a reintroduction of the de-pulped cherry during the second stage of fermentation. The coffee is then washed again in a 'thermal shock' process, which helps to 'lock in' the results of the fermentation.
This Pink Bourbon varietal is highly sought-after for its complexity and floral notes. Paired with Wilton Benitez's advanced processing method, this coffee needs to be tasted to be believed.
WILTON BENITEZ - GRANJA PARAISO 92
20g coffee, 360ml water. Total brew time = 3:00.
1:18 ratio, steeped for 4 minutes and left to settle. No plunger needed!
1. Manual harvest.
2. Characterisation of the cherry.
3. Classification of the cherry by density and size.
4. Sterilisation of the cherry (with UV and Ozone).
5. Cherry fermentation for 48 hours.
6. During cherry fermentation, addition of specific yeast (Saccharomyces pastorianus) to enhance fruity notes.
7. Cherry pulping.
8. Fermentation for 68 hours in parchment.
9. During cherry fermentation natural grain juices are produced. These are then incorporated in the second fermentation, following the pulping process.
10. Washing of the grain.
11. Drying of the grain with controlled equipment for 48 hours at 38ºC.
You Might Like
We love how the world of coffee changes with the seasons. If you like this, take a look at some of our suggestions here - you might just find your new favourite.
Sparkling Water Decaf Coffee
El Salvador - Bosque Lya
The Rich Roast
El Salvador - Apaneca
Sample Pack | 100g Samples Of Our Great Taste Award Winning Coffees
Colombia - Wilton Benitez - Pink Bourbon | Limited Release
Everyone's setup is unique, but here are some good starting points.